Sunday, June 1, 2008

Full Circle

Until it was shuttered, I'd been a long-time subscriber of House and Garden Magazine. When I got my issue every month, the first thing I read was the editorial page. I was always struck by the writing of Dominique Browning in her descriptions of not just House and Garden topics, but her own life.

It was the way she talked about her divorce, her empty-nest syndrome, and especially her sons. It would sometimes bring me to tears as I sat reading. On one particular occasion, I remember her describing coming home one day to her beautiful home, only to wish she had a skate-board to move out of the way.

Right then and there, I had found a kindred spirit.

I decided that if I ever got this business up and running, she would be among the first to receive a "thank you for your inspiration shirt" from boymom.

You never know when you send a gift to a stranger if they ever received it or even care. So, needless to say, I was thrilled to receive a very kind email from Dominique explaining that not only did she receive the shirt, but she planned to proudly wear it!

She gave me many a soul-touch with her words.....And to think I might have given her one with a boymom shirt........simply makes my week.

1 Comments:

Blogger I Am Boymom said...

It's funny that you started something that has touched so many of us Boymoms. My husband mentioned that there must be some kind of undercurrent among us Boymoms that we are all feeling the need to proclaim our Mom identity in some kind of special way. I think it is less about our own identity and more about the experience of being the only woman in a house full of boys and men and trying to live in and understand their way of life. Whatever it is, you have found a way to unite us and give us a way to express our identity or experience in a way that tells the world exactly who we are! And I LOVE the quotes! I am going to track down some Dominique Browning articles and read them. She sounds like our kind a gal! I love the shirt and wore it all weekend. Not only was I a proud Boymom in it, but it was a constant reminder of the person behind the concept, who has inspired me. Thanks, Amy.

June 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home